Rogue One & Scale Updates

To start, I absolutely loved Rogue One. It was a near flawless Star Wars film in my opinion. There was just enough old and just enough new to make it fit perfectly before A New Hope. And there’s so many links to the original trilogy, that I’m sure many of us will be analyzing Rogue One over and over again.

For modelers, new ships means new models. So far Bandai and Revell haven’t disappointed in their lineup. However, by digitally recreating all of the OT vehicles to scale, some of the official sizes changed. X-wings, Y-wings, the AT-ST, and even the TIE Fighter have had their sizes altered.

Best part, my estimates of 7.3 meters for the TIE Fighter is almost spot on for the new official size: 7.24 meters. Yeah, it’s nerdy, but it makes me really happy.

I have updated all of Scale Lists, as well as the Official Sizes page to catalogue the changes. Cheers!

A few updates

I’ve added a Miscellaneous section to the Scale Lists. This section is for anyone who wants to send me dimensions of Star Wars vehicles I don’t own. I’ve also added a Thoughts section. This is my outlet for writing about just about anything. You are welcome to browse, but take everything with a grain of salt.

Also, I’ve added some initial pics of the Revell U-wing. And I am getting closer to finishing the painting on Kylo Ren’s Shuttle.

32 - Repainted the wings

32 – Repainted the wings

Becoming a stripper…

…a paint-stripper. Well, I didn’t like how the paint had laid on the Shuttle; it was grainy. I’m fairly convinced that the paint was drying as it hit the model. Thus, I need to use a paint retarder of some sort. So, I decided to soak the model in Windex and remove the acrylic layer. However, I found the while the Vallejo paint lifted perfectly, the AK acrylic Primer pretty much stayed on. I used a toothbrush to remove most of it (without damaging the lacquer primer underneath). Now, I’m letting it dry.

In other news, I bought an F-toys AT-TE, and I am making a small vignette with it. I did some slight weathering on the vehicle. Then, I used a picture frame and some DAS clay to create terrain. I created the spires from 5 minute resin. Basically, I just stirred the resin until it began to set, then lifted the stirrer. If I timed it right, I could create rather unique spire/obelisk shapes reminiscent of Geonosis.

wip-ftoys-atte