sIG 33b captured (Panzer III chassis)
♦ Detail: 5/5
♦ Fit: 3/5
- Captured scheme
- Faint German crosses still visible
- Miniart Soviet weapons
- Spare T-34 tracks
- Tow cable
- Modulated colors
- Stencils for markings
This was one of the “smart-
In deviating from the norm, I added extra T-
The weapons come from a Miniart kit that was almost equally hard. Nearly 30 pieces went into making the Maxim MG. I had to replace the axle with brass rod because the tires kept falling off.
Painting was quite a joy with such a large canvas. I sprayed and sealed a layer of Tamiya German Grey first. I then used LifeColor greens to create modulation. I then came back with a paintbrush to paint more highlighted areas and features. Using water and some thinner, I was able to scuff a lot of the LC paint away, making the panzer grey color come through.
Using PE masks, I sprayed the German emblems, which I also faded with water. I over-
I first used a sponge to create chipping around the vehicle. Then I turned to my new LifeColor rust set and painted the extra tracks (best rust set I’ve used). I also used acrylics to create some fading.
For mud, I mixed some plaster with dark pigments and water. I made several layers of mud, each varying in color. The end result is the best-
Finally, I came in with enamels and oils to add more dirt and fading to the vehicle. I probably could have gone heavier on the upper-
Though ordered early on in the war, only 24 were built. Those served primarily at Stalingrad. The only survivor remains intact at Kubinka.
I could not find any direct evidence of one being captured, but they did serve on the Eastern front. I think it would be neat to have seen one modified as more of a mobile pill box with an anti-