New server

Well, after over a week of issues, I recently switched to SiteGround for my hosting. Granted, I’m doing the cheapest option, but so far, it has exceeded my expectations. This, plus the new Star Wars trailer makes one excellent day indeed.

Finished the AT-AT Barge

What I am now calling the Thane-class, the AT-AT Barge is finally finished; though I have yet to write the backstory. Please check out the build log and the thread at Keeper of the Force, and please feel free to comment. Cheers!

AT-AT barge painting the details

I threw about 2 hours or so into it yesterday primarily focusing on finishing up the painting. I also did some chipping using Vallejo paints.

Here’s the menacing front. I emulated the viewscreen based on the AT-AT walkers. I painted it red. Then I added a highly thinned Life Color black shade. The water in the acrylics wicked along the edges making it appear to glow. Chipping was done with mostly white paint. I know that after the filter stage, it will tone the white down a bit.

For the blown out panel, I just painted everything very lightly with a few yellow hoses.

Finally, I painted the greeblies on the underside various colors and finished it off with some chipping. I used the sponge method for most of the chipping, then I came back with a tiny brush to add a few larger chips.

Modulating the AT-AT Barge

Here’s what I accomplished a few days ago. I airbrushed the modulated greys using Life Color paints. Then I hand-brushed the small raised panels with Vallejo paints. Of course, most of the contrast will lessen as I apply filters and other weathering techniques.

Building a better styrene “Chopper”

modified NWSL The Chopper

So my latest project wasn’t actually a model, but a modification of Northwest Short Line’s The Chopper. I had had problems with The Chopper being able to cut really thin styrene. I also had a problem with the blade chipping away at the pressed wood base. In talking with someone at Keeper of the Force, he showed me a similar modification he did, which I copied.

In rebuilding it, I used a solid piece of wood instead of the cheap cardboard like base. I used a Dremel to router away a small square inlay where I could glue a piece of glass. I used a cheap mirror, so I had to sand the mirror finish off the back. Then I painted it black for easier visibility against white styrene. The glass gives the blade a hard surface to cut against instead of chipping away at the wood.

I then used a stainless steel ruler with metric markings, and mounted it in place with the 15cm mark where the blade comes down. I had to glue down the brass grommets, but everything seems to work well for now.