What I am now calling the Thane-class, the AT-AT Barge is finally finished; though I have yet to write the backstory. Please check out the build log and the thread at Keeper of the Force, and please feel free to comment. Cheers!
Tag Archives: scale model
Modulating the AT-AT Barge
Here’s what I accomplished a few days ago. I airbrushed the modulated greys using Life Color paints. Then I hand-brushed the small raised panels with Vallejo paints. Of course, most of the contrast will lessen as I apply filters and other weathering techniques.
Breaking into the hobby
One thing I enjoy about modeling is seeing new people get into the hobby. Yet, it worries me that people may be discouraged by everything that is out there. The photos of professionally built models, aftermarket accessories, and the dozens of paint brands make it kinda intimidating. One look at a lot of the pics of models and you might wonder, “how can I ever make something that good?” Couple that with some modelers vehemently arguing about accuracy (even sci-fi modelers), and I can imagine anyone would feel overwhelmed after a bit of reading.
The important thing to realize is that like any art form, everyone has their own style and their own desire for what they want to focus on. The other aspect to remember is that everyone was a beginner once. Look back through my models, and you’ll see how rough they were when I started out. I built with superglue, slathered on the paint, and barely weathered at all. It took a lot of practice to get where I am now. And I have to remind myself that I’m not trying to beat someone else…but rather, I’m trying to get a little better with each model.
On that note, if any viewers have any questions about modeling or any of the articles/models on my website, feel free to message me. I always like meeting new modelers, and I think it’s great sharing information and tips.
Now go paint something.
AT-AT barge last build update
Well, I have finished the build of the AT-AT barge. Check out all the photo-etch greeblies I threw in around the engines and the blown off panel.
Well, I’m still working on the YT-1300 makeover project. My perfectionism got the best of me, and I redid the new crew section. But I was able to redo all of the supports and get everything within .3mm of what I wanted. So, everything is as perfect as can be. Now to move on to the interior.